You are here
GM, North China
- Attractive benefits provided within stable business
- Partner with peer group globally for best results ( personal & business growth)
About Our Client
Scottish Enterprise (SE) is Scotland's main economic development agency and aims to deliver a significant, lasting effect on the Scottish economy. Our role is to help identify and exploit the best opportunities for economic growth. We support ambitious Scottish companies to compete within the global marketplace and help build Scotland's globally competitive sectors. We also work with a range of partners in the public and private sectors to attract new investment to Scotland and to help create a world-class business environment.
Scottish Development International (SDI) is the 'international arm' of Scottish Enterprise and committed to helping Scottish companies expand overseas as well attracting foreign investment into Scotland. SDI has been operating for more than 20 years in Greater China, with offices located in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
The context for the roles is Scotland's Economic Strategy, the associated growth sector strategies that contribute to it and Scotland's new Trade and Investment Strategy. The work will also be taken forward in the context of and overall approach to trade and investment at the UK level and will involve close working with the British Embassy in China and relevant Consulates. The post holder will:
* help to inform the long term direction for our work across Greater China, including the agreement of policies and plans, and operational delivery.
* help to lead, develop and manage the performance of the Greater China team through a people management role for a large team of trade and investment executives, including objective setting, providing support and encouragement and performance review.
The Successful Applicant
People management, including in relation to building effective and dispersed teams and managing cultural diversity.
* Economic development in an international context and experience of delivering results in the Greater China and UK/Scottish market.
* track record of delivery in relation to sales, marketing and business development, ideally in a trade and investment context.
* Senior level relationship management in a business and a political/public sector context.
* Ability to travel extensively throughout Greater China.
* Solid communication, negotiation and influencing skills, with a high level of confidence and competence in influencing at a senior level.
* Ability to work well on their own and under pressure to meet tight deadlines and overcome complexity and challenge.
What's on Offer
In this Executive role, you will develop and manage senior level relationships with customers (mainly Scottish companies and Chinese investors) and other internal (SE and SDI staff in Scotland, including International Sector Heads) and external (UKTI, CBBC, Universities etc) stakeholders to support the delivery of enhanced trade and investment performance.
* Manage the delivery of company, ministerial and senior official visits to Greater China, as well as planning and prioritisation of visits from key customers in Greater China to Scotland.
* Manage the effective and efficient running of individual offices in Greater China and associated contracts in line with agreed budgets, ensuring full compliance with legal and labour law requirements. This is to be done in conjunction with SDI's appointed advisers and with the benefit of specialist HR, finance and legal support.